Catchers (in drafted order)
- Joe Mauer (keeper) - #1
- Victor Martinez (keeper) - #28
- Russell Martin (keeper) - #3
- Brian McCann, Dunedain Rangers - #2
- Jorge Posada,
Pronks - #39 Akron
- Kenji Johjima, Feisty Mosquitos - #34
- Jarod Saltalamacchia, Stewies SexyParties - #33
- Geovany Soto, The Usual Suspects - #5
- Bengie Molina, Those Guys - #6
- J.R. Towles, Howard’s Heroes - #139
- Ivan Rodriguez, Stewies SexyParties - #17
Well, if this proves anything, it's that catchers are certainly the crapshoot that we always expect them to be. The #4 catcher (Ryan Doumit), as well as #7-#10 were all undrafted (Kelly Shoppach, A.J. Pierzynski, Chris Iannetta, Mike Napoli). The SexyParties panicked in the draft when they found out Saltalamacchia was starting in the minors, so they drafted Pudge, who ended up being another merely serviceable option.
The best picks go to The Usual Suspects and Those Guys for drafting Soto and Molina, who finished #5 and #6, respectively. And the worst pick has to go to Howard's Heroes for Towles, who actually finished as the lowest ranked catcher in baseball, because he actually did more damage to your batting average than could be overcome by his paltry run production numbers. Guys who played no games were ranked higher than Towles. Ouch.
Post a Comment