This is part of a continuing series highlighting what I'll miss most about drafting M13. Check out recent blog posts to view the rest of the list.
#3 - Unsummon
I love Unsummon. If I could declare one card as being almost completely under-valued by the Magic community, it would be Unsummon. I've picked it first in drafts more often than I probably should, just because it's so amazingly versatile.
- Big token incoming? Unsummon is a kill spell.
- Big honkin' Primordial Hydra about to smash you? Unsummon and all those nasty +1/+1 counters slip into the ether.
- War Falcon attacking with a white ring and Mark of the Vampire? Unsummon kills the enchantment and massively undermines your opponent's tempo.
- Need that Murder back from your graveyard? Unsummon Archaeomancer and treat yourself.
- Opponent casting Rancor? Unsummon the target and Rancor goes into the graveyard for good.